Sunday, January 29, 2012

Vickie and Albert

Jenny and I used to make dolls out of clothespins, but I've sold, lost or given away most of them. I don't know where Mama got these two big antique clothespins, but she gave them to me long ago. She had used her tiny drill to make holes through for their arms. All these many years, I've meant to ask my artist sister Ramey to paint their heads to resemble Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, and I've collected pictures of the royal couple so I could make their costumes. But I never think to tell Ramey. So I'm posting this as a self-reminder.

The taller pin is nearly 5 inches high, and I've thought about using it to make a new Daddy for the Dolls' house, so he would be almost as tall as Mama. But I hate to abandon the Prince Albert idea.

Queen Victoria was a pretty good-looking little woman until she had twelve children, Albert died, and she didn't care much any more.

***

Shakespeare's prettiest poem:

Tir'd with all these, for restful death I cry,
As: to behold desert a beggar born,
And needy nothing trimm'd in jollity,
And purest faith unhappily foresworn;

And gilded honor shamefully misplac'd,
And maiden virtue rudely strumpeted,
And right perfection wrongully disgrac'd,
And strength by limping sway disabled;

And art made tongue-tied by authority,
And folly, doctor-like, controlling skill,
And simple truth miscall'd simplicity,
And captive good attending captain ill--

Tir'd with all these, from these would I be gone,
Save that, to die, I leave my love alone.

This is the thing he wrote that, in my opinion, most strongly indicates Oxford as the author. It sharply describes his life, and the influence of Authority over his works.

3 comments:

Deb said...

My girls and I often made people out of these type of clothespins. We also used a type that are flat, not the spring ones, just flat. They use to make little clothes and even diapers for them! Man, do I miss those days! Thanks for talking about those clothspins;it brought back some good memories.
Hugs....

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

I have some of yours and Jenny's clothespins dolls that I use for Christmas tree ornament.

Ramey Channell said...

Be glad to do the honors. But Al's head looks awfully flat. Might have to augment it with some dapper waves of hair.