Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Hello, Goodbye

One cold rainy day last week, I went to the drugstore to pick up a prescription. When I got back and opened the garage so I could get in, a pretty black and white dog ran in ahead of my truck. He was wet and cold and shivering, and I sort of rubbed some of the rain off of him. Then I went upstairs and fixed him a plate of leftover beef stew and rice and things and took it down there.

He tucked his long bushy tail between his legs and looked sort of sheepish, but after a while he ate it all up. He had on a collar, and I turned it around and around, looking for a tag, but he didn't have one.

"You're a right nice dog," I said. "Matter of fact, you're the very kind of a dog I've been looking for, with your long wavy hair and your medium-sized build. How would you like to hang around here?"

"No'm," he said. "Much obliged for the dinner and the rubdown and all, but I reckon I'll get on back to the house when it quits raining."

"Well, it was mighty nice talking to you," I said, and he said likewise. So we shook hands, and after a while I let him out. When I looked out the window, he was long gone.

I really don't want a dog, but it had slipped my mind.

3 comments:

Deb said...

You know, sometimes that is the best kind of animal; the ones you can help along when they need it. My grandpa and grandma had a cat they always looked after. Never knew who it belonged to, but it always came around and they fed it and gave it shelter, if it needed it. He was the biggest cat I had ever seen, bigger than my dog!
The cat Laura and I have now, Keeko, found us. I don't know what we will ever do when his days are over. He seems like he has been with us forever, a good friend, he is.
Hope you are having a warm and sunny week.
Hugs...
Deb

Ramey Channell said...

Sounds like a nice dog! Guess he just needed to get out of the rain. I found a tiny brown long-leggedy puppy on my way home last week. Wanted to keep him, but gave him to a neighbor who wanted him.

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

I wish he had decided to stay.