Tuesday, August 5, 2014

New Book in the Mail

In today's mail I received a copy of the Georgia Poetry Society's 2014 Anthology. (I wish our ASPS Sampler could be this nice.) Couldn't figure why I got it, because it doesn't have a poem by me in it. But found that it has the three winning poems in the contest that I judged this spring, "The Mnemosyne Award," plus a biographical blurb of me. These are three of the most beautiful previously unpublished poems I've seen in a long time. Wish I could copy them in my blog, but I don't know if that's permitted or not.

The first place one is by a gentleman determined to keep on writing, no matter what happens.

The second place poem is like a fairy thing out of A Midsummer Night's Dream.

The third place winner is probably my favorite, though not as technically impressive as the first two. It's by a lady promising to give her companion any three extravagant things he wants in exchange for two tiny paintings and a Nevada sunset.
*
I've been thinking of a book consisting of selections from my blog. Like "Seven Years of Something-or-Other." The publishing concern "She Writes" is sponsoring a contest for a book of memoirs. I wonder if blog posts could be called memoirs.

No comments: