Saturday, August 30, 2014

The Thirteenth Warrior

It made Omar Sharif quit acting for a while. The public didn't spend their money on it. Panned by Roger Ebert, belittled by Rotten Tomatoes, regretted by Michael Crichton, this is still one of my favorite movies.

In the late nineties and early 2000's, there was a rash of books and movies about Beowulf. At least that's when I read and saw some of them. The ones I liked best were John Gardner's Grendel, and this Michael Crichton-spawned movie. The worst one was a "sci-fi" take.

I wasn't surprised that "The Thirteenth Warrior" was not popular. Whatever prompted studios to make such films is what was surprising. I wonder what percentage of the population would admit to having read Beowulf. "I had to read it in college." I had to read a lot of things in college, and some of them I hardly even cracked a book on. Paradise Lost, for example. All you have to do is listen to lectures and take notes, and read what you like. I liked Beowulf, and Vladimir Kulich as  Buliwyf was a work of art.

7 comments:

JD Atlanta said...

I liked it - there were a lot of clever things you don't often see in movies. I liked the way the Arab warrior learned the Viking language, for example.

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

I read Beowulf and liked it. Don't remember seeing Thirteenth Warrior.

Joanne Cage said...

I liked, "Can I give that thing to me daughter?"

JD Atlanta said...

:)

JD Atlanta said...

Mom, did you watch this recently? If not, maybe it could be our next movie night. I'll bring the KFC. :)

Joanne Cage said...

Great! I only saw the last few minutes of it on TV a couple of days ago. I loved the Vikings.

JD Atlanta said...

What makes a good double feature with Vikings? I wouldn't mind seeing Master and Commander again - it's been a while.