Friday, April 22, 2016

Aha!

Only a hundred pages of Virginia to go! I expect to finish it sometime next winter. Why do readers suffer boredom willingly, when all you have to do is shut the book?

Mark Twain said it seemed a pity that they let Jane Austen die a natural death. I guess he'd have been mollified if she had filled her pockets with rocks and walked off somewhere--

At least one doesn't have to explain or feel foolish about reading Jane Austen. She wrote complete sentences [sometimes too complete] now and again, and made whole characters [troublesome, troublesome], at least the important ones.

Virginia Woolf, now, wrote beautiful words. At least one epigram per paragraph. I really do like the disjointed scenes in the British Museum.

1 comment:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

I'm very careful about what books I start reading. I have some kind of strong aversion (almost a phobia) to giving up on a book once I start reading it. That's the only reason I was able to finish Moby Dick, as well as a few books we've read for book club.