Monday, August 9, 2010

Poems for Comfort

I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,
And a small cabin build there of clay and wattles made;
Nine beanrows will I have there, a hive for the honeybee,
And live alone in the bee-loud glade. (W.B. Yeats, The Lake Isle of Innisfree)
*

She dwelt among the untrodden ways
Beside the banks of Dove,
A maid whom there were none to praise
And very few to love.

A violet by a mossy stone
Half-hidden from the eye;
Fair as a star, when only one
Is shining in the sky,

She lived unknown, and few could know
When Lucy ceased to be;
But she is in her grave, and oh,
The difference to me! (Wordsworth, a Lucy poem)

*
...She turned away, and with the autumn weather
Compelled my imagination many days,
Many days and many hours,
Her hair over her arms and her arms full of flowers;
And I wonder how they would have been together!
I should have lost a gesture or a pose.
Sometimes these cogitations still amaze
The troubled midnight and the noon's repose. (T.S. Eliot, La figlia che piange)
*
*
Jed came over Saturday and left Sunday. In between, he installed a new computer, but left my old setup until I get used to the new one.
*
On Friday, the Lowe's man and the Pella windows man came and measured all our windows. I only want to replace the big window unit in the living room, but the estimate was free, so I let them wander through the house measuring all the windows.
*
Saturday afternoon, while Jed was working on the computers, I went to the thrift store with Sister Ramey. She found two pretty T-shirts for me, and I found a beautiful antique bowl for myself. I know--coals to Newcastle, etc. But aside from my collection of yellow ware, I don't have enough serving bowls. Or didn't.


4 comments:

Ramey Channell said...

I find these 'poems for comfort' rather melancholy. But, I can parody:

I will arise and go now, and go to Dunnavant,
And a small cabin build there of tree limbs and red clay;
Nine beehives will I have there, all the honey I could want,
And live alone in the bee-loud glade.

Ramey Channell said...

She dwelt among the untrodden ways
In the woods beside the house.
A maiden cat whom all did praise,
Except chipmunk and mouse.

At rest beside a mossy stone
Half-hidden from the eye;
Fair as a star, when only one
Is shining in the sky.

Well loved, she lived; but few would know
When Weezer ceased to be.
But she is gone away, and oh,
The difference to me!

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

That bowl is awesome!

Joanne Cage said...

It should have said "Poems To Get Me Started Writing Something."

R.: I like your parodies.

S.: Thanks! It's an old Taylor, Smith & Taylor, with a crack in it, but I like it a lot.