Thursday, March 22, 2018

What Lies Beyond the Stars, by Michael Goorjian***

This is our book for the April book club meeting. I enjoyed the second half of the book very much. The first part was slow getting started. I think the book is a modern study in imagination versus hard fact, and maybe good versus evil, and of course we could have guessed which would emerge triumphant.

The thing about this book that most dampened my enthusiasm was the "modern" off-color language. To me, it's distracting to read a story where I want to skip two or three words in almost every paragraph. Such writing, while trying to look current and smart, seems to me to be trying to degrade everything that went before it.

Anyway, it will be interesting to find what the other club members think about this book.

2 comments:

JD Atlanta said...

I admire when writers try something different, but if it doesn't work it can be really distracting.

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

What bothered me about this book was the ending. All I could say was WTF? because I have to admit I don't remember the modern off-color language. But then I've read two books since that one. It will come to me once we start discussion.