Thursday, September 20, 2007

Autumn Skies

"Well, children," as Sojourner used to begin her talks, I have to tell you:

The heavens declare the Glory of God,
And the firmament showeth His handiwork,
Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night showeth knowledge;
There is no speech nor language where their voice is not heard...

There's no speech nor language to describe the sky this afternoon. I don't believe I've ever seen anything else that beautiful in all my life. It almost made me cry.

Here's a book I received a few days ago from the publisher, because it has half of one of my poems in it. The poem was a linked sonnet, which means two sonnets, but they only published one. Oh, well.

After working on my books this morning, I went to the Post Office, of course, then to the library sale to do my volunteer hours taking money, and found they had added a lot of yard sale items. I came away with one book, and a beautiful Christmas tablecloth still sealed in its original plastic cover.

Speaking of skies and books, below is a book of mine that I wouldn't part with, mainly because of the beautiful cover.


As a final word about skies, I think this is the best poem I've written.
~
Clouds with wings of gold
enfolded pale blue morning,
that a moment died,
rose up white noon, and oh
bright cumulus flung clear around
my unsuspecting stratosphere!
~
How can even God
behold this gleaming day,
yet stay in place, while higher
every mile the sky grows! I
would tumble treeward, rumbling,
"See My wonders! See Creation glowing!
Hear My thunder!"
~
I myself, although
no god or wing-blessed being,
must fling my senses somehow high enough
to reach and reel among
those sun-dipped fields of light,
dance there, cling there,
or of sheer worship
die!

1 comment:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

You amaze me. I read the poem three times.