Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Pass the Biscuits, Miranda!

"Shootin' gives a man an appetite!"

Well, I had biscuits and ham for lunch. They were pretty good. Started out with Susan's recipe, then switched to the recipe on the White Lily bag because all I had was 5 pounds of self-rising flour. Ate two while they were hot, froze 8 for later, and saved a couple to see if I can bite them when they get cool. Dang it, I didn't have any orange marmalade.

From the Bookins swap site the other day, I received M: The Man Who Became Caravaggio, and started reading it yesterday. It's a fascinating story, in which the author, an Australian, seeks to amend somewhat the centuries-old impression that Michelangelo Merisi from Caravaggio, Italy, was a crook and a murderer. It's aggravating reading, however, because the author attempts to be what in the '60s would be called hip. Uses words (or non-words) like "sus" (apparently an adjective) and "yakka" (a very dirty noun). His favorite contraction, judging by its frequent appearance, is "they'd" for "they had" or "they would." I expect any paragraph to see "they'd've."

A peculiarity that this author points out, and illustrates with lots of details from Caravaggio's paintings, is that many of his men and some of his women are self-portraits, even the severed heads of Goliath and Holofernes.

Added at 6:30 p.m.: For dinner I had roasted squash and the couple of biscuits, which were still very good. And I did find some orange marmalade, about half a jar hidden in the refrigerator; I ate a little of it with a biscuit and didn't die right away, so I guess it wasn't too old to eat. What I wonder is why am I eating all this cooked food suddenly? Just got tired of sandwiches and canned spinach and microwaved eggs, I reckon. I have cooked a lot of cornbread lately to eat with the spinach. I bought a hunk of sliced ham yesterday, thinking I was craving meat, but didn't like it much. Next time I cook dried beans, though, it'll be good with them.

No comments: