Friday, September 7, 2007

All about books


I had two orders for books Tuesday and three Wednesday, so yesterday I went to the P.O., then to the grocery store for a few things. No orders yesterday or today. They come in flurries.

I'm still reading Stalin's Ghost. I stopped to read Gorky Park, because I thought, since the same protagonist was in both, that GP would immediately precede SG, which is right, but a lot seems to have happened in between.

Today I received an email request to mail Elie Wiesel's book, Night, to a Bookins member. Bookins is a swap site. When you mail a book, you print the postage-paid label from an online site, and the postage is charged to the recipient's credit card. I received the book from a Bookins person just a few days ago, and since it has only 120 pages, I sat down and read it, just now finished it. A protracted nightmare. I remember my uncle, Alfred Satterfield, saying that the group he was with liberated one of the concentration camps; I couldn't remember if he said Auschwitz or Buchenwald. It had to be the latter, as the Russians were the first to arrive at Auschwitz, from which most of the prisoners, including Wiesel and his father, had been force-marched by the SS to Buchenwald, during which march many of them died.
<><><><><>
Great Performances at the Met L'Elisir D'Amore - Sunday, September 09, 2007 at 3:30 PM, Alabama Public Television pays tribute to the life of Luciano Pavarotti, who died on September 6, 2007, with an encore performance of one of his most treasured roles, Nemorino in Donizetti's L'Elisir D'Amore (The Elixir of Love). The two-and-one-half-hour, two-act opera was originally broadcast on PBS stations from the stage of the Metropolitan Opera in New York City on March 2, 1981. A highlight of the telecast is Pavarotti's stunning rendition of "Una Furtiva Lagrima," an aria he made his own in his illustrious career. Charlie Rose introduces the In Memoriam broadcast. This special broadcast will replace the first episode of BROADWAY: THE AMERICAN MUSICAL originally scheduled for Sunday.


Ciao, Luciano.

1 comment:

JD Atlanta said...

Gorky Park is the first book in the series. The best one is the second, Polar Star. Stalin's Ghost is the 6th, I believe. If you have Polar Star, I highly recommend it!

Jed