Saturday, December 1, 2007

"The easy part's over now."

On Nov. 21st I wrote that this quilt was made by Mrs. Julius Cage Sr. But that was wrong. Granddaddy Cage was Julius I.

The quilt was made by Jed and Jack's great-grandmother, who was Mrs. DeWitt Barnett Cage. I don't know what her first name was, but her maiden name was Hatfield. Aunt Emma Cage wrote and, I think, published a genealogy of that line of Hatfields. I believe GGM Cage's name might have been Hester. The Cages were fond of unusual or historical names; there was a Pulaski Cage, named for that personage; I don't know if Pulaski was a great-great-grandfather or what. Granddaddy Cage had a sister named Eusophronia, but they called her Flora.


I've gone through the novel and changed nearly all the names that were people's actual names. Now the real work begins--getting the thing in shape to submit somewhere.

1 comment:

Ramey Channell said...

I LOVE this quilt. I remember it was once in my possession, but it was snatched from my grasp! Still love it! Nothing can compare with it in all of Quiltdom. I designed India's baby quilt (in about 1971) with this one in mind. India's is done all in pink print on white background, and it appeared in one of the Southern Living quilt books a few years back.
Franny Ramey Channell