Saturday, December 8, 2007

WWII Memories

Last night I watched two WWII movies on TV: "From Here to Eternity" was about an Army installation on Oahu just before the Japanese invaded Pearl Harbor, and "Wake Island" was about the Marines left on that island who were in a sort of General Gordon position when the Japanese invaded, and died to the last man. I should have seen them before I wrote the book instead of afterward, because I had a few things wrong that I'll have to fix. Of course, I had seen both films before, but so many years ago I hardly knew what they were about. I almost can't stand that stupid beach scene in "From Here to Eternity," but Frank Sinatra was so great in it, and Montgomery Clift was so beautiful--this was before his auto accident and subsequent plastic surgery ruined his face--it's worth watching. Old Boit Lancaster wasn't bad, either, except in the stupid beach scene.

I didn't go to the book club meeting Friday. No excuse, I just didn't go. I could plead old age and novel writing, but I won't.

I actually plan to finish my rewrite this month, and think of a title, and in January I'll try to place it somewhere.

No comments: