Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Stormy weather

I had no idea the storm had torn up the town, until just now reading Susan's and Buffy's blogs. Luckily, I had grocery-shopped Monday so haven't been out riding around since then. During the storm, while I was floundering around, all the outside lit up with orangey-red lights, and I thought something was on fire, but decided it was the fire truck going up the road toward Pat's area, so there was probably some damage up that way. My boom box had batteries, for once, and the weather news was straight-line winds and heavy rain. Mo and I mostly stayed in the center hallway away from all the windows and doors until it was over. My electricity came back on soon after the storm.

Last night I had left the hallway lights on, because I can't sleep unless there's a light somewhere. Before I went to sleep, the hall light went off, and Mo and I both jumped, and I thought, Oh no, not again. But then the light came back on.

I can't think of anything useful that I did yesterday. Guess I'll get out this afternoon and look around.

4:00 p.m. I've walked around the lot, got the mail, etc., and didn't see any damage. Was going to drive up Rowan Road, but the Fox News vans (2), and a couple of utility company trucks, went up that way while I was out, and I was kind of scared I might not want to see what was going on. One of my near neighbors, whose lot is even lower than mine, has had a tree blow down on their house twice since I've lived here. But they had finally removed the tree closest to their house, and today I couldn't see any damage down that way.

I called Mary Anne, who lives on Julia Circle, and she said the only damage she knew about up there was a tree down on Lynn Avenue, the part that's close to her. We agreed we couldn't remember Leeds ever getting badly hit before by a storm.

No comments: