Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Another Country Heard From

Jed drove from Atlanta to Decatur, Alabama yesterday morning, worked in Decatur all day, then stopped by here about 7 p.m. on his way home. We ate dinner at the C. Barrel, then he went on. But not before he looked at the quilt blocks and made a remark or two. He said the block representing Giles and Kit (although he didn't know this) was messing with his brain. I wish someone else would read the book so they'd know what they're looking at. I think Susan has read it, but not sure.

Today is bill-paying day, and after that star-making day. I've dropped behind on the quilt top, as I've still got 16 (little) star blocks to make. And after that, I'm starting on a writing project which I won't talk about, lest I talk it out and then don't do it.

"I have spent my days stringing and unstringing my instrument, while the song I came to sing remains unsung." - Rabindranath Tagore

*

P.S. I finally canceled the order for The Ivory-Billed Woodpecker, with the note, "I'm very sorry. This book has been lost." I know I'll find it, and when I do, I'm going to tear it into tiny pieces and burn it. No, I'll probably send it to the customer and tell her not to send me any money and never to mention it to me again.

3 comments:

Ramey Channell said...

I found that block to be rather unusual too, and I think you had remarked that India's geometric painting in the den was like the quilt block. I see similarities.

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

What block? What book? And who are Jiles and Kit?

Joanne Cage said...

Suze - My Una quilt was inspired by Sena Naslund's book Ahab's Wife. Each block is symbolic of something in the book. Giles and Kit were the two boys who saw the eagle attack Una on the lighthouse balcony. I thought you read the book. Didn't we have it for Book Club one month last year?

The quilt block that represents Giles and Kit, and also the ocean waves, is made by the Snail Trail pattern. Y'all really ought to read the book. It's wonderful.