Sunday, September 13, 2009

Did you ever get the feeling that something was gaining on you?

My bills are paid. I'm not overdrawn at the bank. We're not under a tornado warning. I'm not sick. As far as I know, neither of my boys is sick. The car started the last time I asked it to. I'm pretty sure the house isn't on fire. Mo hasn't thrown up on the carpet today. No imminent doctor's appointments. Nowhere I have to stir my lazy bones and get ready to go to. Nobody ringing the doorbell.

So why do I have this feeling that they're coming to take me away?

It isn't unusual in my experience--it's pretty well constant--, and I know it's called "anxiety." But sometimes it's worse than at other times, and when it's worse, I can't do anything but gnaw my gnails and grind my teeth. And then I remember that exercise, exercise, exercise is the temporary cure. That's why I bought the Pilates book. Lemme go find it.

5 comments:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

One word: PROZAC

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

P.S. Cymbalta is pretty good too. Dr. put me on that for the fibro symptoms and it has just about cured the anxiety too.

JD Atlanta said...

Anything is going to work better with a little exercise. And it's not a temporary fix - if you exercise consistently, the effect on your mood & attitude just continue to improve.

Ramey Channell said...

Do you remember that little finger-play thing we used to do? "Exercise, exercise, we must do our exercise."

Then, you could always try a hair of the dog that bit you. Surely he must have bitten you some time in the past. Reminds me of a Samuel Dobbs Mauby poem. (You know Dobby?)

booze

booze
nectar of the gods
i'm god
gimme some nectar

And what about singing really loud and stomping your foot like a man possessed? That will totally eliminate anxiety, I guarantee.

Yours truly,
Soeur Trois

Joanne Cage said...

I heard a psychologist (on the radio) say, "You're not really anxious--you're excited."