Thursday, June 9, 2011

Cats, Cats, Cats

I've been having an attack of conscience, about that old black cat that showed up here last year looking like a Sherman tank had run over him twice. I fed and watered him, and sprayed the peroxide at his wounds, and he's still alive, because he showed up yesterday. He only comes by occasionally, and he really is a mess at this point. I guess if I can ever catch him, I'll take him to the vet.

Ramey said she would come and get this stray, but I forgot to ask if she meant this year or next year. We thought he was a girl, but he said no, he'll look more masculine when he gets some meat on his bones. He really is a sweet baby. If I kept him--which I won't! I won't!--I would name him "Pretty Mouth and Green My Eyes," and call him J.D. for short. (J.D. Salinger wrote a story with that title.)


I really can't have another one in the house. I haven't let either black or white cat come in, and don't plan to. There's no mention of cats in the Bible, at least not domestic ones, probably because the Egyptians worshiped them. (That's probably where cats got the idea that they really are, if not deities, at least royalty.) I wonder why the Lord made them so sweet.

You wouldn't think one little animal, weighing 10 pounds or less, could make a retired and solitary person miserable. But Mo keeps me semi-miserable about a tenth part of every day.

3 comments:

Deb said...

I'm really bad about taking in strays. Think I got that from my grandma. Our cat Keeko, is a hoot! He found us about 3 years ago. An elderly lady down the road had died and her kids just put him out! He is a love! Never so much as had a bad day since he found us and purrs so loud it should wake the dead! I am so glad that Laura and I can keep him when we move. Couldn't bear to part with him. Hope you're feeling better today.
Hugs....

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Pretty little baby. There are mentions of dogs in the Bible though. And not very complimentary mentions, I might add. We object.

Ramey Channell said...

There's that sweet kitty! His name is Ezra Bazzle! Surprise; now he has a new sibling. A tiny gray kitten has turned up at my house. Male or female, not sure. Will post pictures.