Monday, June 6, 2011

My folks already think I'm crazy.

My Twin
*
A few days before our birth,
I left that body and found a live one
ready to come out.
He needed to be born by himself.
He always rang like Christmas,
but the bells were in my head and came with me.
When his “little shaky leg” shook,
I could hear sleigh bells.
He learned to shiver himself from head to toe
like a wet dog shedding raindrops, and when he did,
I heard the glass balls and bells on a decorated tree
trembling together and ringing.

by Joanne Cage, 6/6/2011

4 comments:

Deb said...

I like the poem. I like how his shivering is compared to the dog shaking. I can see it happening. I visualize everything I read. It's a curse sometimes. When I can't visualize what I'm reading, sometimes I lose interest in it. Anyway, I have a question. When you are writing a novel, do you know where you are going with it, know all the characters at the beginning, or do you just start writing and the characters and the plot happen gradually? Is there any right or wrong way to do it? I'm full of questions today :)
Hope all is well with you.
Hugs....
Oh, I started reading Major Pettigrew...I love it!

Joanne Cage said...

Deb: Thanks for your comments. When I write a novel, I generally know where it's going, and know most of the characters. But sometimes one or two new characters will pop up and change the direction of the story.

Writers who really know what they're doing say there's no wrong way to write a novel. I think they may be mistaken, because I seem to have written 3 or 4 the wrong way.

Ramey Channell said...

This poem is fabulous! Better than I have words to describe...

Joanne Cage said...

Trois: You can't know how much good it does me to hear that!