Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Change of Venue

Last night I went into the guest room and shut the door so Mo couldn't get in. I went to bed with my head in that double window, slept for 12 hours, and got up feeling good. I've always thought that's the best room in the house. Once in a while, when I'm extra-weary and sleep-deprived, I go to sleep in there, and it always does me good.

Maybe it was the rain that kept me snoozing and snoring for so long. I feel a little guilty for loving the rain so much, when I know that somewhere closer to the center of the storm, it's tearing up the country and ruining some people's lives.

Ricky cut the grass yesterday, and it looks like a sparkly green carpet out there. When it's all mowed down evenly, you can't tell that a lot of it is weeds.
*
Yesterday I hunted out all the "art pottery" in the house, with the object of getting it out of the house. I lined up all the planters, vases, mugs, etc., on the porch rail, and they went almost all around the deck, forty-odd pieces that I don't want. I kept my yellow-ware bowls and a few other pieces. What I had in mind was having a yard sale to get rid of the extra stuff. But then I thought about the hurricane, and brought it all inside again, so the kitchen is full of it. Over the years, on eBay mainly, I had already sold all the vases and things that I knew had value.

Most of the pottery is what I inherited from Jenny's collection, oodles of which is still in the basement in the form of odd dishes and sets of dishes. I think from now on, when I go to a thrift store, I'll take a bag or box full of dishes to donate.
*
I listed some of the pottery on eBay.

A McCoy vase


McCoy ashtray

A Royal Copley vase

1 comment:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Olive the last one, the white vase with flowers.

I bet if I could sleep 10 or 12 hours straight I would feel better too. I haven't been able to do that since, I can't even remember when. 6 or 7 is absolute tops for me, and that with several wake ups to go to bathroom or to change positions to something less painful.

I love the rain too. It can't rain too much for me.