Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Falling Up (Thanks, Shel!)

I really, really hate making concessions to old age. Hate it. Really. That's where I take out my hate instinct.

Anyway, I've decided to abandon the basement stairs. The deck steps are less steep, and I don't mind touching the clean, open, rain-washed railings. The deck is 15 steps from the ground, whereas there are only 12 basement stairs. I can always go around to the basement/garage, instead of by the steep, dark stairs.

I thank the good Lord that the fall yesterday didn't hurt me. And the stairs were'nt even involved in it. My knees are not even bruised, though the right one is a bit sore.

Anyone who knows me would agree that mentioning "dance" and myself in the same sentence is an oxymoron. However, in college I took body mechanics and modern dance for my physical education courses, and I believe that some of it has stuck with me. You learn, among other things, how to fall backwards and forwards, which parts to flex and which to relax, so that it looks accidental but actually is deliberate and controlled.

But I'm aware, of course, that I can't sail along at normal speed, depending on learned behavior to protect me from trauma.

1 comment:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Glad you weren't hurt. I fall a lot. I guess we have strong bones.