Thursday, August 2, 2012

I hardly ever regret what I don't say when I'm ticked off. In contrast to the many times I wish I hadn't said so-and-so. But for years I have fumed over a certain situation at a certain church in Leeds. I've told myself it's really none of my business, although I am nominally a member of that church, so why isn't it some of my business? But I can't do anything about it, and to speak of it might be to stir up a hornet's nest. Which might be a good thing, but would probably be a bad thing.

But every time I drive by there and see someone, who ought to be at least the head deacon, tending the grounds or taking in the garbage can, it makes me furious all over again. Humility is all well and good, and maybe that's his schtick, but I can't help it, it makes me angry for him and at him. Those high-and-mighty rich folks could hire someone to take in their damned garbage cans.

I usually live to regret saying that I'll never do something again. But I don't think I'll ever attend that church again. I was sort of a founding member, but I won't be missed, because I only went a few times in ten years, anyway.
*
Maybe if I had attended and contributed regularly, I could have had some influence. Or at least a forum for my opinion, before I quit.

2 comments:

Deb said...

I am so glad you did not get hurt in that fall! That is my worst fear. I really am glad you are fine.
I do understand about how you feel about the church. My Pastor told me some horrid tales about things that happened to them when they first started out. I cannot understand 'people'. I was very involved at my church for many years. It was my sanctuary. I found out how loving they really were. You see, my closest friend is who had the affair with my husband. Found out they were having one for almost 2 years before I found out. The kicker in this is I truly was the only one who did not know! All of the church members and the Pastor and his wife knew! No one, and I do mean no one, told me. They also have not spoken to me since. Not one phone call or visit or anything. I think that was the worst part of it all. Thinking I had friends and
didn't. When my ex and 'the woman' married in May, people actually went to the wedding that had been my friends! One of my family members took the photos! I will never go to that church again!
Geez, guess I still haven't gotten over it, huh?
I hope your basement dries out soon. My new place doesn't have a basement and only 5 stairs to get in the door! Very nice on the knees!
I still love reading the on-going story.Keep it up!
Hugs...

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Mr. Musgrove took care of st. Teresa grass cutting and yard chores for many years. Some people just like to contribute, I think, in ways other than writing a check.