Sunday, August 12, 2012

Great Weekend

Jed had a business meeting in Birmingham Friday morning, so he stayed here for the weekend, just left going back to Atlanta. We watched the movie "Capote" last night, although it was hard to watch. It softened my opinion of Truman into pity. For Harper Lee, too. Neither of them ever published another book after "In Cold Blood."

I ended the eBay auction for my Pinkie doll. It got down to one hour, and none of the watchers had bid. I know what they were doing--I've done it myself. Wait till the last minute to bid, and get the item for the starting price. But not this baby. I think it's a keeper. Just wish I had a grand-daughter, or grand-niece. Why don't any of these nieces have girls? Though I love the nephews. Boys are more fun, but they probably don't want your doll collection.

*

Regarding the Dolls: The painting that Ned found in the old stable looks like an El Greco, something like this:

The night after they found it, lightning struck in the woods and burned the remains of the old stable to the ground. After the family recovered from hysteria and running around in circles, they sent Ned off with the painting to have it examined at Christie's, authenticated if applicable, and an attempt made at establishing provenance.

2 comments:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Glad you saved the baby, and glad Ned saved the painting.

Ramey Channell said...

I love Truman, and I watched both movies, "Capote" and "Infamous." Though I remember I liked one better than the other, I'm not sure which was which. I love the little scene where they went to the sherrif's house for supper and Truman, carrying a cake, says "I brought you something fruity. And it's not me."
The best thing around is the book "Truman Capote's Southern Years: Stories from a Monroeville Cousin" by Marianne M. Moates (Aug 5, 2008) There seem to be several editions or versions, but the one that says Stories from a Monroeville Cousin is the best. It has a lot of funny and surprising childhood stories about Truman and Nelle.