Monday, October 28, 2013

I love Google's tribute to Edith Head's 116th birthday. That lady designed not only beautiful gowns, but whole wardrobes for movies all the years of my youth and early maturity. In my opinion, she was a better designer than all those French and Italian guys put together.
*
Well, it was a terrific weekend around here. Jed came over Friday and brought a new haunted-house game. Ramey, Susan, Jesse, India and her friend Jason came over, and we all went to Logan's where Jed treated us to dinner. Then we (all but India and Jason) played the game, which has about 1.5 million game pieces and two or three volumes of instructions. Jed and Jesse had to tell us how to proceed. We're lucky to have two such savvy gamesters in the family.

Then on Saturday, Jed and I went to Montevallo for the state poetry society awards luncheon. I won four prizes, including a first, a second, and two honorable mentions. Ramey won a prize in one of the contests, and Jerri H. and Evelyn H. won a couple of dozen prizes apiece. Evelyn is one of my favorite poets, and a beautiful lady. This time I remembered to take my camera, but didn't take any pictures.

I forget what we did Saturday evening. Jed read A Wrinkle In Time again over the weekend. Then Sunday we ate lunch at Chili's in Trussville, and Jed went back to Atlanta.

I hope a good time was had by all; it certainly was by me.
*
Here's what I forgot: Friday night we gathered at Susan's and ate fried chicken and looked at the game. It was Saturday evening that we went to Logan's. I'm learning to live with my aging memory. In one of Alice Munro's short stories, there's a priceless line by a woman whose husband was concerned about her losing and not remembering things: "I don't think it's anything to worry about," she said, "I'm probably just losing my mind."

1 comment:

JD Atlanta said...

I've been trying to forget how you crushed the field in Dixit, followed by back-to-back victories by Susan. Leaving me at the starting line in all three games.