Sunday, October 20, 2013

Interesting Note On Genetic Testing

Jed's "100 percent European" analysis still has me puzzled, even more so now. The lady (Barbara) in Nebraska who phoned me for information about Cages is the granddaughter of Nell Josephine Cage Reis, who was Grand-Daddy Cage's sister. In talking about her ancestors, Barbara said that, according to "the old folks," Mary Hatfield Cage was half Indian.

Mary Hatfield Cage was the mother of Julius Theodore (Jack) Cage I, Nell Josephine Cage Reis, and all their brothers and sisters. Jack Cage I was the grandfather of Jack Cage III (or IV--there was an older nephew named after Jack the First), Jenny Cage and Jed Cage.

I'd like to know which agency did Jed's testing, and which one is doing Susan's testing, and compare the two.

Is it probable that two women of approximately the same generation, when American Indians were mistreated and vilified, would claim to be Indians if they were not? Mary Hatfield Cage is the same relation to Jed as Eliza Jane Miskelly Ramey is to us. If Mary were half Indian, then Jed would be a sixteenth, I think. That ought to be enough to show up somewhere in the DNA.

Archimedes
But what are all such niceties to me,
Whose head is full of indices and surds?
x2 + 7x + 53
 
= 11/3

***

 I didn't remember what Barbara said about her great-grandmother until this morning after I started to throw away a sheet of paper on which I had written notes while talking to Barbara.




***


Mary Emma Hatfield

Found 10 Records, 10 Photos and 1,014,804 Family Trees

Born in Woodville, Mississippi, USA on 1865 to Thomas Hatfield. Mary Emma married Dewitt B Cage and had 13 children. She passed away on 28 Aug 1944.

Family Members

Spouse(s)
Children
By me:
"Euphrozine" is the one they called Flora.
Aunt Pearl married Uncle Ludwig, but I forget his last name.
Ellie Josephine was Aunt Nell.
James Edward and Dewitt Barnett are the ones Jed is named after.
Marguerite was Aunt Margie.
Julius Theodore (Jack) was Granddaddy Cage, married Flora Walker.
Emma Hortense was Aunt Emma who lived in Washington, DC.
 
I don't know which one was called "Uncle Harvey," who was still alive in the late 1950's and lived in Nebraska with Aunt Nell. Maybe Harvey was Nell's husband's uncle. But he looked just like a Cage. So did Nell's husband.
I don't know which one was Willa, who married Jere Camp. They lived in Mississippi, and I think their son's name was Howard. Willa was the youngest of the sisters, so I guess her birth name was Millie Juliette. They tended to call themselves anything they chose.

***

November 14th: Purvis. Aunt Pearl and Uncle Ludwig's last name was Purvis. Julius and I visited them in Jackson, MS. Their son Jimmy, his wife Anne, and their terrifying toddler son Mike. When we walked into their house, Mike aimed his bow and arrow at me and said, "I'm going to kill you!" Jimmy looked sheepish and said, "He means it!"
 

7 comments:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

The one doing mine is Ancestry DNA (Ancestry.com). I haven't sent mine yet. Just as I received it, I was coming down with a nasty cold and didn't want to send them any germ-laden spit. But I plan to get it off this week.

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Wow! Jed has a Hatfield ancestor. I love it.

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Wonder if there's any connection with Devil Anse's family.

Joanne Cage said...

All I've found is that her father's name was Thomas Hatfield.

Joanne Cage said...

I've found several genealogy sites that include Mary Emma Hatfield Cage, but none of them show her mother's name. Found part of Aunt Emma Cage's genealogy research, and even that shows "mother's name unavailable." Very interesting.

Ramey Channell said...

Very interesting.