Friday, October 25, 2013

LAC hosted Bham Arts Journal

LAC table decorations
Pretty Stacey at the Birmingham Arts Journal meeting
Mr. Marchant chowing down
It was a good gathering Thursday evening at the Leeds Arts Council. There were several artists and writers there whose works were published in the current issue of Liz and Jim Reed's Birmingham Arts Journal. Some of the writers read from their works. Then Frank and Stacey and I read; I think we were the only readers who weren't in the current Journal. I read my witch poem.

Stacey is a new member of our Leeds poetry group which we have named "The Open Circle."

The picture of Spurgeon won't sit up straight. His right arm has a rolled shirtsleeve, and his left arm looks like it has a buttoned cuff and a jacket. I don't know how that happened. But that's okay. Spurgeon would approve of the photo.

*

Re: Spurgeon's shirt: I think both his cuffs were buttoned. The left wrist is just sticking out from behind the black vest he had on.

*

One day this week while I was driving up Montevallo Road, there was a hawk with outspread wings sort of hovering over the street, just above treetop height. The sun shining on him showed all the colors, and it took my breath away, and took my feet up off the floor. Fortunately, there was only one car behind me, going slow. I started waving my arms and pointing up at the bird.

Then yesterday, coming home from somewhere, I saw what might have been the same hawk above Rowan Road. Wings spread out, just sort of hanging there. "The heavens declare the glory of God," for sure. Especially when there's a hawk in the sunshine.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hawks are beautiful! My brother told me that they are territorial birds and that they stay within a 20 mile radius of where they choose to live. He saw one at my house and he told me he thought it was living there. I think he is right because it stays in a big tree that I have in my yard. It is huge and beautiful. They really get rid of varmints too! I am glad he is around.