Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Royal Flash

All I can think to say right now is, Thank you, Jed, for leaving that book here, even though I said I wouldn't read it. I didn't read the dedication page until I had finished the book, or it would have spoiled the surprise for me. Of course, I tumbled right away to the similarity of people and place names to The Prisoner of Zenda, but didn't really get it until the adventure was well under way, and not totally until the end. I liked Rudi better than Rupert of Hentzau.

I see there was a movie of it in 1975, and old Oliver Reed played Bismarck. Most gratifying, the note about Hawkins (Anthony Hope).
*
P.S. Flash is no Rudolf Rassendyll, but he has a pretty good heart.

1 comment:

JD Atlanta said...

Just got home after twelve days on the road, to find three more Flashmans waiting in my mailbox. All with lurid covers.