Monday, April 6, 2015

A Happy Holiday Weekend

Jed came over Saturday, and that evening he and we Three Weird Sisters, plus lovely India, played "Sheriff of Nottingham" until we almost thoroughly understood the rules. Then on the beautiful Easter Sunday, Ramey had fixed a big feast for her family, but Jed, Susan and I went to Carrabbas and over-ate. At least I ate too much, as usual. It was a great weekend.

This afternoon I have a dental appointment, and the poetry group meets at the Leeds Arts Center tonight.

Jed went home today, and I wrote a poem. It could really be about any one of us three sisters, because Daddy always wanted a boy.

             Philomena

Maureen lives down the Valley road,
Celeste lives up the hill;
They call me Baby Sister,
But Daddy called me Phil.

He thought two girls were quite enough,
And when I made it three,
He gave me a hound puppy
To grow up along with me.

The skills I learned were mumblety-peg
And how to build a fire,
To whistle through my fingers,.
And how to change a tire.

He taught me how to hunt and fish
And hit a target square,
And how to skin a rabbit,
And not to take a dare;

And how to fight a bully,
And how to lose a game
Without dissolving into tears
And acting like a “dame.”

I grew up and raised a family,
Just like my sisters did,
And Dad and I were never as close
As when I was a kid.

My mother said my name means “friend,”
And “loving,” and “good will;”
She named me Philomena,
But Daddy called me Phil.


By Joanne Cage
April 6, 2015

3 comments:

JD Atlanta said...

I own the original copy of this poem, suitably autographed. Just sayin'.

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Had a great Easter weekend with you 'uns.

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Oh, and I forgot to say, I love the poem.