Sunday, April 12, 2015

Erik Larson

Yesterday, in between interludes of lolling on the couch, I did lots of loads of laundry. Alliteration.

Today I've watched a video recording that Jed sent me, a Wall Street Journal book club interview with author Erik Larson talking about Dashiell Hammett and The Maltese Falcon. Through Facebook, Jed had four questions about Hammett that Larson discussed.

Then last night, I happened upon an interview with Larson on CSPN Book TV, recorded March 27, 2015 in St. Paul, MN. One of his remarks that I found interesting was that Hemingway, Scott Fitzgerald and Dashiell Hammett were significant influences on his writing.

The interview was about Dead Wake, the Last Crossing of the Lusitania. It was right fascinating; he said his favorite period in history was the 1890’s to the 1920’s—partly because it was the heyday of the typewriter, which made historical research much easier to read. He also said he’s claustrophobic on an airplane and hates to fly. He said some of the passengers on the Lusitania saw the torpedo coming toward them. Wow.

Larson's books that I've read are The Devil in the White City, and Thunderstruck (at least part of it).
*
This is the next tale: http://www.boop.org/jan/justso/camel.htm

1 comment:

JD Atlanta said...

I've finished "Dead Wake," and it's good. I will bring it with me the next time I see you. Or I could send it to you if you like - send me an e-mail if so. Jed