Saturday, August 27, 2011

What Else?

It gets harder and harder--or more and more of a nuisance--to live by oneself and deal with everyday disasters. In the past week, the AC has crashed. The living-room light fixture broke--or I broke it trying to turn on the ceiling fan. A stray cat got in through the pet doors that I unwisely unstopped; Mo ran it off but not before it had ruined the foyer floor. I get dozens of telephone calls where the caller I.D. just says "Texas," "Wisconsin," "Georgia," etc., and if you answer, there's just silence. I forgot to put out the discards for the charity trucks.

There. That doesn't look so bad, does it? It was less than one disaster a day, and only a few nuisances. Don't count the computer freezing up in the middle of something, or burning my hand taking something out of the oven.

I just resent the waste of my time. It's the servants' job to take care of such stuff. But where are they when you need them?

3 comments:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

I don't answer any calls if I don't recognize the caller ID unless its a 699 or 702 number.

Deb said...

Well, it feels like years since I was reading blogs! I just had my phone/internet turned on Thursday at the new house. The move went well for Laura and myself. Moved into a small home, which is alright with me! Also, no more stairs! All one level, even the laundry! I am very, very happy!
I love the new poems, especially the one about tea. I do just that, drink tea in the evening. It helps to clear my mind and level me out.
I am glad your surgery is over and went well. Is this the last surgery you are getting? Surgery, even minor, can be very stressful. I try to avoid dr.s, therefore they won't tell me something is wrong :)
I hope you didn't get any of the hurricane weather. We are too far to really be affected by it, but had friends that just had rain and wind. I am so glad I have never been in one.
On a sad note, if you watch/listen to news today, you will hear of an American getting kidnapped in Haiti. His name is Frank Jean-Baptist. He is a missionary and is from our church. We have supported him and his family for years. Hopefully, he will be freed soon. Haiti is not the place to be.
Have a wonderful day!
Hugs....

Joanne Cage said...

Deb - So glad your move went well and you're all settled in. And I'm sorry about Jean-Baptiste, and hopeful. My "schnozz" is all healed up, and the scar is minimal. In four more days, I'll be able to leave off the bandaid and put makeup over it. Thanks for your post, and your kind words about my poems.