Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Tired of Cooking

I thought I was hungry, so I made a big bowl of fruit salad and put it in the refrigerator. For next time I think I'm hungry. This hot weather reduces my appetite.

Preparing the strawberries, I thought of Mr. Lowery's strawberry patch. I was crazy about that old man, but he never knew it, and I don't think he liked me very much. I think what I felt was envy and admiration: He had what I thought we could have with better management. Grape arbors, peach and apple orchards, strawberry and vegetable patches. A log cabin with exquisite stone work on the chimney and the steps down the hillside toward the spring, all built by himself.


This isn't his house, it's my grandma's. With PawPaw's mulberry tree.

3 comments:

JD Atlanta said...

That looks good!

Ramey Channell said...

Mr. Lowry was a good guy!

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

I remember his grape arbor and orchard.