Thursday, May 21, 2009

A Bird Adventure



The Ivory-Billed Woodpecker, now thought to be extinct. Julius and I got lost in Tennessee or North Carolina one time in the 60s. One of these flew out of the woods and over our heads. We could see it perfectly from underneath, and caught a glimpse of red on the head as it flew into the woods on the other side of the clearing that we were lost in. It was as big as a hawk or bigger, and its undescribable call was like it was coming through a loudspeaker. We heard it first and looked up; that's why we saw it so clearly for a few seconds.

We were so excited, we finally found our car before we could find our voices.


The little red-headed woodpecker that frequents my back yard is prettier, just not so big.

1 comment:

Ramey Channell said...

I think I saw an ivory billed woodpecker fly over my yard about 5 years ago. I knew they were supposed to be extinct, but that's what it looked loke. It was huge and looked like a pterodactyl with that unusual head. Maybe there are still a few left here and there.