Thursday, May 28, 2009




This beautiful moth lit on the deck door outside, then disappeared. I ran and got the camera, came back and opened the door, and it flew into the house. After it flopped around and I took a few photos, I opened the door and it flew out.


(Added May 29, 5:50 p.m.) The name of it, if I remember right, is a luna moth.

I think it was Walt Whitman who wrote, "...I could turn and live with the animals." Sometimes I feel that I could, too, if it wasn't necessary to live in a house.

Added Monday, June 1: After I had written the above, the moth got into the house again, and I chased it all around the kitchen trying to get it outside, but it lit somewhere and I couldn't find it. Then Saturday, Jed spotted the moth flopping around on the carpet in the living room. He herded it toward the front door and finally got it to go outside.

2 comments:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

I have always thought the luna moth is a beautiful creature.

Ramey Channell said...

This moth is SO beautiful. So beautiful! I see them around my house pretty often, but this one has unusually lovely art-deco markings on the upper edge of its wings. Stunning.

Trois