Monday, May 25, 2009

The Mole Who Came In From the Cold

Yesterday I was watching Starman, when I saw this tiny barrel-shaped body run under the TV cabinet. I started to climb on a chair and say, "Eeek, it's a mouse!" But it almost had no ears at all and just a little twig of a tail. Ever since then, Mo and I have been trying to catch it, but don't know what we'd do with it if we did. It has run into Mo's feet several times, then turns around and scoots back under something. He chased (or followed) it, all around the East Wing last night.

The back yard was almost totally flooded at one point yesterday, but there was no water in the basement. So I guess the little critter found its way under the garage door or through a hole somewhere. But how did it get up the stairs?

In the past few days, I've read The Gravedigger's Daughter, and People of the Whale, both very excellent books. (Both are future selections for the book club, so I hope I don't forget too many details in the interim.) In between, I read Rebeccca of Sunnybrook Farm for the first time. And then I watched Starman, which is incomparable. But as antidote to all this sweetness, I feel like taking another go at Herodotus's History, or at least a few good murders.

1 comment:

Ramey Channell said...

So, where's Mr. Moleticus today? Has he made an appearance?
Trois