Friday, May 1, 2009

The bloomin' season













I think the white rose is a JFK.


The peonies that I planted 3-4 years ago have decided to bloom--at least one of them has.
***
Regarding Ahab's Wife, or The Stargazer, by Sena Jeter Naslund. The ending, consisting of the last hundred pages or so, falls rather flat after the amazing, incredible rest of the book. I think she should have stopped with the death of Ahab, but that's just me. All I can say in summary is Wow! If I could write like that--if I could write like that--I'd never do anything else, I would just write, let it pour.
*
"(But do you know me? Una? You have shipped long with me in the boat that is this book. ...If I am your shipbuilder and captain, from time to time I am also your comrade. Feel me now, standing beside you, just behind your shoulder?)"
*
and
*
"If you meet a woman of whatever complexion who sails her life with strength and grace and assurance, talk to her! And what you will find is that there has been a suffering, that at some time she has left herself for hanging dead."

No comments: