Tuesday, August 10, 2010

My Holiday in the U.K.

Today while cleaning out a desk drawer, I found and re-read a 17-page typed account of our 1997 trip to England. I wrote it about a month after we got back home. It's probably still somewhere in my computer files. It has some amusing spots, and it made me nostalgic about some of the people I used to work with, as well as people and places we met on the tour. I had forgot that our tour guide is the one who told me about the books Sarum and Pillars of the Earth, which I read when I got home.

I haven't done anything useful today except brush the cobwebs off my new back door and the whole back wall of the house that my long-handled brushes would reach. I was trying to get one desk drawer cleaned out so I could keep my bills, stamps, address labels, etc., in it, but there's just too much stuff, so I put most of it back where I found it.

Today I had a delicious lunch of rutabagas with butter and cornbread. Think I'll fix just an enormous salad for my dinner, and a grapefruit for dessert.

4 comments:

JD Atlanta said...

That sounds great. I, on the other hand, have an appointment with a pizza. One which said pizza shall not survive.

Ramey Channell said...

Drawer cleaning causes me extreme anxiety and panic attacks. Sometimes I just dump everything out of a drawer into a box, so I can sort through it a little at a time. Hence, I have boxes and baskets full of detritus and/or debris all over my house which I have not finished sorting.

Joanne Cage said...

O Lord, Ramey! Don't put such an idea into my head. Normally, my method is just to shift things from one set of drawers to another, throwing away a few things and adding piles of others as I go.

JD Atlanta said...

So why don't you scan the account of yout trip, and send me a copy?

---

Glad you liked Treason's Harbor. It's one of the better ones - I think you'll like Far Side of the World, too.