Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Sick o'Chicken

Recently while finishing up a batch of drumsticks, it occurred to me how tired I am of chicken. So today for lunch I made a good old shoe-leather--I mean, steak sandwich. It was delicious, but mighty chewy. I'm not a good steak cooker. Anyway, I sliced up some of what was left and made a big old pot of beef stew, which is now simmering on the stove, and saved the rest for Gretchen or the black cat.


*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*

If he ever gets tame enough to catch, I'm going to take that black cat to the vet and see if she'll do some pro bono surgery on his tail. When he first turned up on my porch, he was in very bad shape; looked like someone had tied wires around his neck and his tail, besides other wounds. He looks right beautiful now, but half of his tail came off and what's left is a real mess. Even if I have to pay to make him a bobtailed cat, I guess I'll do it. He has reached the point where he'll let me touch him when he's eating, but if I try to get hold of him, he's off like a shot.
*
He's really a pretty cat, but he can't come in the house on account of Mo.

Anyway, for dinner I'm going to have beef stew, black eye peas, chow chow and cornbread. People don't founder, do they?

5 comments:

JD Atlanta said...

Wow, that sounds delicious. (Stew & steak, not cat tail.)

PB&B sanwich for me. I'll enjoy it, though.

Joanne Cage said...

I just ate a bowl of stew and a corn muffin, couldn't handle any more. I guess that shoe-leather sandwich at lunch filled me up.

JD Atlanta said...

I ended up cooking pasta with chicken. Leftover chicken. Fast, but good.

Ramey Channell said...

I love your black & white cat. Reminds me so much of my Buckles, as well as Bisco and Cisco. They could all possibly be related, since Cisco (Bisco's daddy) appeared in the neighborhood and Buckles appeared in Grand-ma's neighborhood.

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Pretty kitty. Ihope his tail gets all right or you catch him.