Monday, August 30, 2010

A New Poem


Mother Teresa Enters Heaven

Rich men's houses everywhere I look!
And golden streets--I'm in the wrong part of town;
Even the gates I came through gleam like pearls.
Where do the homeless go, the sick lie down?

A new hospital should rise on this spot,
But these great mansions seem to go on for miles.
If I get funding, surely we'll find a site.
Where is that girl who keeps my business files?

Oh, dear, I must have died! I think I know
This place; it's like the dream before my birth.
But I can't stay here--people are cold and ill,
Starving--I must get back to the streets of earth!

"But this is heaven, ma'am," they tell me now,
And, "No one's sick or homeless in this place."
I'm sure they're right--the natives ought to know--
But I think I'll build a shelter, just in case.

jrc 8/30/2010

3 comments:

JD Atlanta said...

I like this! I can't believe that it's been almost 13 years since she passed away.

Joanne Cage said...

And that long since we were in England, just after she and Princess Diana had died.

The poem has just begun. I'll probably still be working on it years from now. But I'm going to enter it in the ASPS contest, in the next few days.

Ramey Channell said...

Wonderful! It sounds just like her too! I think it's a winner.