Thursday, March 31, 2011

They Call It Anxiety

Heavy, Heavy, Hangs Over My Head!

And I don't know why. Yes, I do: Next week I've got my annual checkup appointment, plus book club on Friday, and poetry critique group the week after that. But those don't worry me. It's just this general clinging feeling of something important left undone that bugs me nearly all the time.

The only unpaid bill is my UAB insurance, and that will take about a minute and a half to dispose of.

The basement? Well, doesn't 'most everybody have a basement that needs to be shipped to Timbuctoo?

Coughing, sneezing and crying while I'm working on the book? What else is new? By gosh, I hope this book affects everyone else who reads it the way it moves me. As many times as I've been through it, I still cry at the sad parts and laugh my head off when anyone says something funny or crazy. But Ramey says I have to change all the names. I knew I'd have to do that, but what can ever replace "Billie Jean"?

The feeling is almost like I've won the lottery and have to file a tax return. I wish.

6 comments:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Why do you have to change all the names? What's wrong with Billie Jean--aside from the face that Michael Jackson used it in a title?

Joanne Cage said...

Mary Chris, my friend in the publishing bs., said I had so many names that were similar to each other, beginning with the same letters, that it was hard to keep up with who was who. Ramey really said I just need to change those that are names of real people, and she also mentioned the Michael Jackson song. Of course, I won't change all of the names, but am trying to improve on the usage and sounds.

Joanne Cage said...

P.S. Suze: I would be glad for you to read the ms. and contribute your own confusing remarks, if you had time and inclination to read it. Just saying.

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Would love to read your manuscript, Jo.

JD Atlanta said...

Hey! Late last fall you said you wanted to go to the Bankhead Nat'l Forest when the weather got better. Well, it's getting there! So when are we going to get some folks together and go?? I volunteer to drive - we could go THIS MONTH if you want! Day trip or overnight - you tell me.

Jed

Joanne Cage said...

JD: I think probably too much is going on this month. Let's go early in May.