Tuesday, April 12, 2011

It Was Monday, a Good Day

I hired a local Landscape Artist to cut the weeds. We'll see how he works out.

Also yesterday, I revised an old, old poem:

Desiderata

Could I write with my heart, and not my hand,
each poem would rise, original and plain
as the great oaks that on the mountain stand,
or a quick shower of September rain.
I fear I'm marked by all the poems I've read,
in neighbors' gardens sniffing all that bloomed,
till stems and blossoms hang about my head,
a patchwork veil of all I have consumed.

If muses do exist, then let them flood
my soul with light to wash my verses free,
nor dip my pen in alien wine or blood
to counterfeit the heart's true currency.
Let elements as rough as tears and mud
and rainbows, all my ink and parchment be.

11 comments:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

What landscaper. I'm having a guy that Mary U. recommended to me to take out the holly strumps around the front of the house and plant red knockout roses. It's costing a lot, but I think most of the cost is getting rid of those holly stumps.

Joanne Cage said...

Suze - The guy is Tracy Lovvorn - Lovvorn Landmarks LLC - 1637 Montevallo Rodad - 577-2009. According to him, he does a lot of lawns and tree work in Cahaba Hills. I told him that frankly, I'm not impressed--I didn't say it in so many words--because I've been stung before by experts. But you might get an estimate from him on how much your stump removal etc. would be.

Joanne Cage said...

I meant Montevallo Road, not Rodad. What is a "rodad," anyway?

Ramey Channell said...

I believe there is a nouveau rock band called Montevallo Rodad. You know, it's a beachboys-surfer kind of term: rodad, dad of the road. Which would indicate that "hodaddy" would be ho of the road ... nope, ho of the daddy. Hmm, that could lead to many speculations.

Ramey Channell said...

Great poem, by the way. there's an ASPCA request for Meditative and Contemplative poems to be read at the next meeting. Joe Whitten sent out a note today about it.

Joanne Cage said...

Aren't you glad we're members of the "ASPCA"? (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals)

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Rodad? I think it's a prehistoric flying creature.

JD Atlanta said...

That is a great poem. Regarding rodad, you're all wrong. It's what they make crawfish cavier from.

Ramey Channell said...

Huh-uh. That would be dad-roe. Which could also be an admonition from your mother: "Get ow dad roe!"

JD Atlanta said...

Where's the "like" button on this blog? :)

Joanne Cage said...

Believe me, I so much appreciate the etymological digression!