Sunday, April 17, 2011

What makes an object irresistible?


NW-J-203-E is the underglaze mark on this little "fairy lamp" that my mother gave me about 50 years ago. It was complete and as near-perfect as most antique china gewgaws get. The only thing lacking was a chimney. I always knew that someday I would find a chimney to fit. Well, about a month ago I found a new one online. One-and-a-quarter inch base, eight inches high. Thirteen dollars, plus $7.95 shipping and handling. Gad. But I would have paid twice that, or more, for an antique one with etching, faceting, or scallops around the top. "Vanity, all is vanity, saith the Preacher." This is surely a minor example.

When I was about eight years old, Bonnie Ann had a miniature oil lamp, about 2 inches high, made of plastic or some antiquated equivalent. She gave it to me. It was a good thing, because if she hadn't, I might have stolen it.
*
Once more, I think Big Baby is finished. Might-nigh 80,000 words. Every time I read through it, I find a few more typos--quotation marks left off, names unchanged, etc.