Friday, April 29, 2011

The jo-ree is back on the windowsill. I apologized for misleading him yesterday, and told him to go about his legitimate business. This time he isn't just cheeping, he's singing a tune! If I were more superstitious, in this tumbled landscape, I would hope he's not trying to tell me something.

I've worked on the book--AGAIN!!!-- all morning. Remarks from Ramey keep sending me back to clarify and elaborate on a few points.

Stormy weather used to be something I could joke about, even sing about. But never no more! The devastation is too terrible to comprehend. I sent an email to my friend Sandra H.B., who is a consulting professor at the University. She has an apartment in Florence, Italy, which is where I hope she was when the monster rolled over Tuscaloosa. I hope to hear from her. Sandra B.H., Hoyt's widow, lives up toward Gadsden somewhere, on a lake, and I hope she's OK, too. Yesterday, when I went to see about Susan, I passed Betty Jo's and Carole M.'s houses, and they seemed to be OK. In fact, I don't think I saw any real damage on Ziegler Road or close to Susan's house.
*
I called Betty Jo, and she hadn't heard from any of our far-flung classmates. She said Sandra has children and grandchildren who live in Tuscaloosa. She also said a bunch of people were killed in a retirement home near Leeds, probably in St. Clair County, and a daughter of our 1950's police chief, John Pledger, was one of them. Betty said something about Joyce Earle, but not that she was hurt.

I also emailed Jack, but haven't heard from him yet.

2 comments:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Miss Biddy (Vann's mama) calls them Jorees. We thought that was something she just made up. I had never heard it before. Let us know when you hear from Jack.

Ramey Channell said...

Cute bird. He looks like he's resting, and possibly hiding from his wife in the nest. Looks like he may be curious about what's going on inside your house, too. Sweet thing. Any time a bird lights near you, the Choctaws and Apaches say "It's a good sign."