Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Depression Era Cooking

I usually throw out leftovers and any food that doesn't look just right. Now, that's not the way to get through hard times, is it?

Tonight I was about to throw away a few scrawny little potatoes, but instead peeled them and cut away the black parts and chopped and rinsed them. Then I chopped some cooked pork and threw it and the potatoes into a hot skillet with a little bit of oil and browned them. Then added a small amount of water, lowered the heat, slapped a lid on the skillet and simmered the whole mess until the potatoes were tender and the water boiled away. Of course, I had added salt, pepper, sage and other stuff. The result wasn't pretty, but I ate it up too fast to make a picture of it, anyway. The only way it would have been better would be if I had remembered to add some hot sauce.

Yesterday I was about to throw out a couple of eggs, noticed that the carton said they were good until March 9, so I got out a can of creamed corn and made the best corn casserole/pudding I've ever tasted. I just put in less than half a cup of flour, a sprinkle of corn meal, and some skim milk and salt and stuff, then baked it in a buttered casserole dish. I did remember to add the Louisiana hot sauce, which makes everything better except maybe dessert. Well, I had a hard time saving enough of the casserole for lunch today.

I call this ad lib cooking, and it nearly always turns out better than when I follow a recipe.

1 comment:

Mom2fur said...

Isn't that the truth, that ad-libbing often gives you better results? I think it is because we know instinctively what we like, and tend to use more of that and less of what we don't.
Talk about depression-era cooking: we've always enjoyed a recipe passed down from my grandmother that is so weird it has to be one of those 'use up and make do' recipes of the depression. It's called "Noodles and Breadcrumbs." Basically, you fry up some bacon. Then you break up some bread into the bacon grease and cook it until golden. You put some cooked noodles in a bowl, then some tomatoes straight from a can (seriously, you don't even heat it up), add the bread and bacon and enjoy. It's probably a heart doctor's nightmare, but oooooh, is it gooooood! (And hey, tomatoes are good for you!)