Tuesday, March 17, 2009


Hope it's a happy day for everyone. The first two entries under "Music Links" in the left column have some sprightly Irish tunes.
*****
And here's a Surprise! (click it).
*
"...I will not read them as if they were prose!"
*
The Lake Isle of Innisfree
*
I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,
And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made.
Nine beanrows will I have there, a hive for the honeybee,
And live alone in the beeloud glade.
*
And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow,
Dropping from the veils of the morning, to where the cricket sings.
There, midnight's all a-glimmer, and noon a purple glow,
And evening full of the linnet's wings.
*
I will arise and go now, for always, night and day,
I hear lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore;
While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavements gray,
I hear it in the deep heart's core.

4 comments:

Ramey Channell said...

I LOVE W.B. Yeats! His reading voice, however, is just too hilarious. I believe I heard a recording of him reading a poem about prodding a dead groundhog with a stick.

Dobby Mauby said...

W.B. Yeats was my mother's 3rd cousin, known to us as Uncle Billy Butler. He was a sweet, out-doorsy fellow, but somewhat nervous. It's wonderful to hear his unique voice, as it is unique to hear his wonderful voice.

Dobby

Joanne Cage said...

To D. Mauby
Dear Sir or Madam - I thought it was a charming way to read a poem, to distinguish it from prose.

Dobby Mauby said...

Sir or Madam, indeed! You silly girl!

Samuel Dobbs Mauby