Saturday, May 22, 2010

Never Cry Wolf

I just watched an old movie (1983) on TCM, "Never Cry Wolf." Awesome. Even the naked man running with the caribou. It's from a book written in 1963, which I looked for on Amazon.com and was irritated to find that it isn't on Kindle. How quickly we become addicted to instant gratification!

Mo and I have had a pleasant day, most of it spent walking around and around the lot, enjoying the sun and the shade. I think Joe might have hit my JFK rose with the weed killer; it seems to be one of the few things in the front yard that look like they're dying.

This morning I went grocery shopping, for the first time in about a month, assuring myself I was only going to buy the few things that I really needed. $101.50. Well, everybody needs hot dogs and pineapple sherbet, grapes and grapefruit and chili in the can. I hadn't had a hot dog in ever-so-long, and found I could only eat one, when I usually have two when I'm hungry. Which reminds me, if my scale is anywhere near right, I've lost a few pounds since my med. checkup last month. I could afford to lose several more. I wish that, when the fat goes, the skin would shrink up a little instead of just hanging there.

Since I sent her my application by email and mailed a hard copy, I haven't heard back from Glenda about my dog. She said that two other people were interested in him. Probably some smug young couple with 1 1/2 kids and a fenced yard. Sometimes it's hard to love people.

8 comments:

JD Atlanta said...

Hey, Mom! Glad that you are feeling better. Hope you get your dog!

JD Atlanta said...

Also, I see that BJB is in Vinemont (?). Let me know if you need someone to drive you up there. Do you have a pet carrier? I've read that they can be very helpful in house training dogs. You may want to read up on how to do housetraining - the web site doesn't say whether he is or is not, so he probably isn't!

I think it's great that you are getting a dog!

Joanne Cage said...

I looked up Vinemont on the map. It's up above Cullman, and yes, if they let me come to see him, I will need a ride. Thanks, Jed.

I don't have a pet carrier now. Pat has one, and maybe, if it's a really little dog, she would let me borrow it. But when I find out more about him, I can get a right-sized one from the vet.

Ramey Channell said...

A DOG? Yesterday my grandson Reed painted my dog Gretchen, the top of her head, her long furry neck, and part of her back just above her tail, with purple nail polish. By the time I found the couple of miscreants, on Buffy's bed, by the way, the nail polish was already drying and Gretchen looked like she was thinking it wasn't such a good idea after all. SO, I grabbed the dog, the nail polish remover, shampoo and conditioner, and went to the back yard to do what I could. Have you ever tried to remove huge quantities of nail polish from a recalcitrant dig who's strong as an ox and unhelpful?

Then, after lots of swabbing, shampooing and conditioning, things were somewhat better and at least she smelled good. Then last night, Gretchen escaped from the house and went somewhere and rolled in a dead thing. So now she has a vaguely purple neck and she stinks.

Joanne Cage said...

Make her stop trying to scare me.

JD Atlanta said...

He looks tiny from the picture.

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

You have a Kindle?????

I could drive you to Vinemont to get your doggie. But I don't have a pet carrier. We would have to get one.

Ramey Channell said...

We have a copy of the book Never Cry Wolf at the Leeds Library (and a VHS of the movie).