Sunday, May 30, 2010

Wind 'em up!

There are roughly 30 or 31 weeks left in this year. I'm going to try to complete one unfinished project every week. There are two quilts nearly done, about a dozen quilt tops, the doll house makeover, and a few (or a lot) that I don't even remember. I just barely got started making a pink-and-black yoyo quilt. I don't feel like mentioning a couple of unfinished novels, and beaucoup short stories that need to be rewritten. But I'll just take them one at a time and see how far I get.

Yesterday Ramey and I went to a couple of thrift stores. I got some baskets to use in my office. One is a waste paper basket, and the others I'm going to arrange in my metal bookcase to hold office supplies. I also bought one book, a Corning ware casserole, and a plumb beautiful bed skirt for the guest room bed. The bed skirt is about 4 inches too big lengthwise and crosswise, so I have to work on it some. The colors are rose and gold and green, and some yellowish beige or ivory, which changes the color scheme for that room, which was mostly blue. But that's OK, I know what I'm going to do with it, and won't have to buy anything. Else.

There are also several Teaching Company courses on DVD that I haven't watched, so I want to do that.

I'm going to wash all the quilts, and then I want my sisters and my sons and nieces and all to come to a quilt-picking. I've got so many that they're stacked in all the closets and corners, and I really don't need more than two, but probably can't part with as many as I need to get rid of.

5 comments:

knitwit said...

Wow Joanne, lucky family members who get to pick a quilt. I like your goal of finishing things. I have that objective too ,but always seem to start new projects as well, so I never get ahead.
Ruth

JD Atlanta said...

Just remember - You will probably fall off your schedule at some point. Make plans to re-start your resolution at the beginning of the first week of EVERY month. That way, if you run into a hard patch, you have a natural way to get back on it. Love you - enjoy whatever you do!

JD Atlanta said...

Oh ... and here's one more thought: There's more than one way to wind something up. You may come across an unfinished book or course or quilt, and realize that you may NEVER want to finish it. It so ... let it go. Don't let it be a burden or a weight on the back of your mind. Box it up, put it on a shelf, and move on. Maybe you come back someday, but if not, you move onto something with a clear conscience!

Joanne Cage said...

Thanks! Good thoughts.

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

And you think I need more quilts???? Well, actually, one of my many mottos is "You can never have too many quilts."