Monday, June 4, 2012

Emails

"MCB:

I’ve entered my novel, Big Baby, in one competition. They were very complimentary, but did not choose it for publication.

This is the book of which you read the first chapter. It’s 80,000+ words long. I wondered if you might have time (in your spare time!) to read it and tell me what you think.

Don’t think for a moment that I will be offended or miffed in any way, if you decline. I’ll just send it somewhere else.

This book may not be your cup of tea at all. It’s about an Alabama mountain family in the early 1940’s, trying to get their heads above water after the Great Depression. Specifically, it’s about one of the daughters, her education, love life (such as it is), and care for her family. It touches racism rather lightly, sex even more lightly, and homophobia not at all, so it’s not up-to-the-minute on popular causes.

Speaking of homophobia, I’m now writing a book (probably novella) about a couple of gay boys in the 1950’s, before gay was cool.

Love, JR"

*

"Hello, Joanne!

I'll be glad to read it. Send away.

MCB"

*

So now I've got to go through the ms. and do something about the little boy's speech defect, which bothered MC when she read the first part.
**
Dinner, with the sisters at Susan's yesterday evening, was scrumptious. Now that I've got the fleas on the run, I aim to start inviting everyone to my house on a regular basis. Maybe we could watch "Downton Abbey" some more, or maybe "Balzac" or "Lonesome Dove."


3 comments:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Sounds great! I vote Downton Abbey or Lonesome Dove.

Joanne Cage said...

Balzac is in French, with subtitles. Gerard Depardieu (sp.?) and Jeanne Moreau are the stars. I just mentioned it because I haven't watched it in years and don't remember much about it. I recognized one French phrase in it: "Quelle heure est il?"

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Il est 10:41 maintenant.