Monday, September 24, 2012

Not much of a poem.


Go Away, Black Cat

I saved your life, but don't assume
that it means you belong to me;
this isn't your home; I have no room
or need for your company.

I only called you “Toby” because
of your white feet and one black toe;
but your pretty paws with their dangerous claws
have not caught my heart, you know.

I've no more chicken-broth or stew
for a poor old lonesome stray;
I'm tired of warming milk for you
because you like it that way.

When you disappear, I start to think
you won't come back any more;
but there you sit like an ebony sphinx,
next time I open the door.

Your eyes are bright, and your meow is light,
and your fur is soft as silk
as you rub my shins. I give up. You win--
I'll just go and warm up the milk.

By JRC September 24, 2012

2 comments:

Ramey Channell said...

Wonderful poem. Fine cat!

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

He looks a bit like Taco might when he gets older. Excep Taco has only a whit chin, not his whole snoot, and Taco's hind paw socks come farther ip his legs.
Like the poem too.