Monday, June 10, 2013

My Choice For Best Movie

Searching for Bobby Fischer, 1993

I'm not a chess player--too dumb or impatient or something. But this has to be one of the top films of all time, in my opinion. It's full of stars. Besides Max Pomeranc (pronounced Pomerantz), who was a real child chess player, as Josh Waitzkin, it stars Joe Mantegna, Joan Allen, Ben Kingsley, Laurence Fishburne, Tony Shaloub, the real Bruce Pandolfini, members of the real Waitzkin family, William H. Macy, and hosts of champion and amateur chess players. Bobby Fischer complained that he didn't make a thin dime out of this movie, which is hard to believe, as several film clips of him were used.

When I can't think of a single other thing in the house to make me feel better, I watch this movie.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Reading your post about this movie made it seem so interesting that I searched for it on my Amazon Prime account. It was there but it is not a free streaming video I will have to pay to rent it. I have added to my watch list and plan to watch it soon.

Love your blog. And your poems.

Joanne Cage said...

Thanks for posting, Carla. Couldn't find how to send you a message. I appreciate all comments.