Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Would I give $10 for a Coke?

It was my first thought, but I would not really give ten dollars for a Coca-Cola. If I wanted one that badly, I'd get dressed and go to the store, where I could get a whole bunch of Cokes for ten dollars. But when I've slept nearly 12 hours, I want something bubbly, as Cliff Huxstable said.


Seems like the earlier I go to bed, the later I sleep in the morning.

There are a couple of projects that I really want to finish this year. A book of my prize poems. Several quilt tops that need quilting.

Autumn leaf
Basket
Log cabin (2)
Hands all around
Christmas star
Jacob's ladder (2)

I think I'll get dressed and go to the store.
*
The clouds are like snow piled all the way around the horizon. The sky in the middle is so blue and the sun so bright, it makes you want to get up there, get up there! A sky like that made me write my poem "Splendor Before a Storm." And it reminds me, maybe not yet appropriately, of Stevenson's "Requiem."

Under the wide and starry sky,
Dig the grave and let me lie;
Glad did I live, and gladly die,
And I laid me down with a will.

This be the verse ye grave for me:
Here he lies where he longed to be;
Home is the sailor, home from sea,
And the hunter home from the hill.

1 comment:

Ramey Channell said...

I love this poem. Should I ever croak, I want those last two lines on my tombstone.