Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Another Good Old Movie

Yesterday TCM showed "The Elephant Man" (1980), for which John Hurt won a BAFTA award as best actor in a leading role. It also had Anthony Hopkins, John Gielgud, Anne Bancroft and Wendy Hiller.

John Hurt must be one of the most versatile and skillful actors in history. He was born in 1940, has had hundreds of stage, screen and TV roles, and is currently in another (filming) movie. The first role I saw him in was Richard Rich in "A Man for All Seasons" (1966), one of the best movies ever made, with one of the best casts ever assembled.

When I was a child, I took it for granted that someday I'd be a movie star. Later accepted the fact that I was just born in the wrong social and economic stratum, in the wrong part of the country. Had to wait for the new millennium even to see some of the best old movies.

3 comments:

JD Atlanta said...

I think Elephant Man is my Casablanca - in a few years I'll watch it and enjoy it. But so far I've never been tempted.

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

I can't remember ever wanting to be a movie star. All I can recall ever wanting to be is a writer.

Ramey Channell said...

On that subject, after I became an adult and looked back with the empirical view, it seemed obvious that our daddy should have been an actor. I can't think of anything else that would have suited him as well. Maybe artist, maybe musician, but definitely actor.