Sunday, July 29, 2012

A Walk In the Woods

Daddy Doll, Billy Bones and Brother Ned take the three greyhounds for a stroll in the woods. Ned suggests that the dogs may even learn to chase squirrels or something, but Daddy knows they're too lazy and housebound to do much beyond lying in the shade. In fact, before they've gone very far, Sooner has disappeared--gone back to the house, Billy opines.

In a clearing, 'way out beyond the Temple spring, they find a ramshackled stable, the boxes all caved in, the roof fallen sideways, and the tack room stuffed with--stuff.

Daddy, the perpetual worrier, remarks, "Billy, we need to get this mess cleared away. Looks like a fire ready to start."

"We could bring marshmellers and winnies," Billy says, "and start it ourselves."

"Whatever," says Daddy. "We'll have to find out if Mother and Miranda want to save the pictures or anything."

Ned scratches his head, looking puzzled. Something is tugging at the edges of his memory. Something about a manger. He wanders away.

The only sound or sudden movement from the dogs occurs when Echo flops down in a patch of grass, and a rabbit jumps over him and makes a beeline for cover. Echo gives a muffled yip and streaks away homeward.

"That was a gigantic rabbit!" Daddy exclaims.

"Looked like a big old Loosiana cane-cutter," says Billy.

"No wonder the dog fled," Daddy says. He is always quick to defend his dogs.

Ned reappears from behind some leaning beams and loose planks, bearing a large flat canvas-wrapped, cord-bound object.

"I think I may have found something," he says. "I pulled up a corner of the wrap, and it's a painting."

Rabbit by me.

3 comments:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Love the rabbit painting. THe story reminds me of the time Ramey, Ronnie, and I went up on the mountain. Maybe the kids were with us, I don't remember for sure. Ronnie lagged behind for most of the time, but then he came running up the trail looking like Old Scratch had been after him. We asked him what was wrong, and he said a big old rabbit tried to climb his leg or something like that. Did I tell it right, Ramey?

Ramey Channell said...

No, no, you didn't tell it right. We were all walking down the trail, single file, and you were right behind me. A great thrashing commotion happened in the bushes, and a rabbit ran up to me and stopped right beside my foot. Then he stood up on his back legs, like he was thinking about climbing my leg. I stomped my foot and said "Get from here! Get from here!" and he circumnavigated me and ran into the bushes on the other side of the trail!
I love bunnies, but thought since he was wild and all, I didn't want to pick him up.
The thing about Ronnie was that he was skeered the whole time we were on the mountain, and the rabbit incident seemed to unnerve him considerably.

Ramey Channell said...

Joanne, did you draw this lovely bunny picture? It looks like your work.